Kaner, Fiedler & Associates, LLC in collaboration with Altom are offering a new generation of public BBST® courses, starting with the BBST® Foundations in Software Testing course.
Cem Kaner, JD, PhD and Rebecca Fiedler, PhD announce a new venture, KANER FIEDLER & ASSOCIATES, LLC.
Cem Kaner, author of Testing Computer Software and Lessons Learned in Software Testing, offers consulting services in software testing and computer-related law. (Cem’s website)
Rebecca Fiedler, veteran educator and instructional designer , can work with you to develop computer-based or online training in any discipline.
Together, Cem and Rebecca co-developed the popular Black Box Software Testing Online Courses for the National Science Foundation. Now that the National Science Foundation project is coming to a successful conclusion, Kaner and Fiedler are available to bring their expertise to you.
The series contains 3 online classes: BBST® Foundations, BBST® Bug Advocacy and BBST® Test Design.
- Organized around four critical challenges in software testing:
- What is the mission of this testing effort and how does project strategy help achieve that mission?
- How can a tester determine whether or not the program has passed a test?
- What are the key challenges in developing and using software metrics?
- How can we measure the amount of testing that has been done and estimate the amount of testing that remains? How should we decide when to stop testing
- Refresh your learning skills and apply those to working effectively with online workgroups.
BBST® Bug Advocacy
- Helps develop skills in effective bug reporting. Some of these skills are primarily technical, such as troubleshooting failures and isolating failure-producing configurations. However, many bugs are left unfixed because they were not presented persuasively.
- The course applies lessons from sales, psychology and law to help you understand how to present your reports more credibly and more persuasively and how to assess the quality of troubleshooting and communication of reports written by your staff or colleagues.
BBST® Test Design
- Our courses teach context- driven testing. Rather than relying on a few “best practices”, we encourage you to adopt approaches and techniques most applicable to your project. To do this, you need to know a variety of techniques, with insight into their comparative strengths and blind spots.
- Surveying about 75 testing techniques, we emphasize six (function testing and testing tours; risk-based testing; scenario testing; spec-based testing; domain testing; and combinatorial testing). This lays a solid foundation for context-appropriate test planning.
BBST® Foundations – A 4 week fully-online course
The first course to be introduced, BBST® Foundations, will have Cem Kaner as Main Instructor and Maaret Pyhäjärvi, Alex Rotaru and Ru Cindrea as instructors.
- This first course is a basic introduction to black box testing. It presents basic terminology and considers:
- the mission of testing
- the oracle problem
- the measurement problem
- the impossibility of complete testing
- This course is a prerequisite for all later Black Box Software Testing courses. The next one in the series considers Bug Advocacy. After that, we work on various test techniques.
- Each course includes video lectures, quizzes, homework of various kinds, and a final exam. All of the homework, and the exam, are peer-reviewed. Every participant in the course reviews work submitted by other participants and provides feedback and suggests grades.
How is this different from AST BBST® courses?
Here are a few points:
- The commercial aspect of this course enables us to have dedicated instructors working together and focusing on teaching and coaching the students
- Students in Finland and Romania will have the possibility of getting support in their native language
- This course, taught by BBST® author Cem Kaner himself, delivers the content on a level that other instructors can only aspire to
- The course also has access to latest BBST® materials copyrighted to Kaner, Fiedler & Associates, LLC
- Interactive grading sessions for the first 10 students contribute significantly to the learning process
If you would like more info on the this course, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone, using the following contact points:
In English: Ru Cindrea, tel.: +358 458858554
In Finnish: Maaret Pyhäjärvi, tel.: +358 408233777
In Romanian: Alex Rotaru, tel.: +40 722475375
If you would like to receive information about future courses, please feel free to contact us directly.
You can also find more details about courses and training sessions organized by Altom here.